Draft Environmental Impact Statement Released
The Tennessee Department of Transportation (TDOT) has released the Draft Environmental Impact Statement on the Pellissippi Parkway Extension.
You can read the DEIS on the web at http://www.tdot.state.tn.us/pellissippi/pdfs/DEIS_04-15-10.pdf
Print copies of the DEIS are available at the Blount County Public Library, the Blount County Chamber of Commerce, and TDOT Region I at 7345 Region Lane in Knoxville.
CAPPE has reviewed the DEIS closely and is preparing comments, consistent with our mission to educate the public about issues regarding and the impacts of the Pellissippi Parkway Extension.
You can read CAPPE's summary analysis here.
- The DEIS evaluates three build alternatives and no-build.
- The three build alternatives include two different routes (Alternative A and Alternative C) for a new four-lane interstate highway and one route that upgrades existing roads.
- The projected costs of these alternatives are nearly $97 million ($96,920,000) for Alternative A; more than $104 million ($104,550,000) for Alternative C, and nearly $60 million ($59,500,000) for Alternative D.
And even with the Southern Loop and the new Alcoa Parkway included, the DEIS admits that not one of these costly proposed alternatives would improve traffic congestion in Maryville!
Public Hearing Scheduled
TDOT and FHWA are required under NEPA (the National Environmental Policy ct) to hold a public hearing on the DEIS.
This hearing was held on Tuesday, July 20 from 5pm to 8pm at Heritage High School.
The format of the hearing included opportunities for comments and questions. We encourage CAPPE members to write a letter to TDOT. Take a look at the Summary Analysis for ideas for your comments and letter.
Written Comments Requested
TDOT is also inviting written comments on the DEIS. The deadline for written comments has been extended to August 30, 2010.
Send written comments to:
- Project Comments
- Tennessee Department of Transportation
- Suite 700, James K. Polk Building
- 505 Deaderick Street
- Nashville, TN 37243-0332
And please send a copy of your comments to CAPPE at cappesaveitdontpaveit.org or PO Box 494, Alcoa, TN 37701